Heather Ward BD, PD, CCE, CLEHeather@BirthLore.com
Childbirth Preparation/ Refresher/ VBAC Prep
Self paced online class. 10 hours of essential curriculum and hours of optional extra to explore if you wish. Two- one hour Zoom sessions to answer your questions, discuss forming your birth preferences and self advocacy skills.
What are the top topics covered?
- Understanding the physiology and anatomy of birth.
- Choosing the best careprovider for you.
- Tips for preparing for a healthy birth.
- Stages of and phases of labor and tips for each step of the way.
- Comfort measures including environment set up, positioning, breathing, massage, focal points, utilizing tools like birthing ball, TENs machine, and more.
- Preparing for postpartum recovery.
- Great communication tips with your care providers and healthcare team.
- Understanding your legal rights as a birthing person.
- Pain medication options including pros, cons and how to best utilize them when/if they are needed.
- Common hospital interventions including- when they are needed, questions to ask, tips for prevention, what to expect, possible holistic solutions, pros and cons of medications used and how to still feel empowered even when things don’t go to plan.
- Covers holistic and western medicine options thoroughly.
- Discovering YOUR desires for birth and beyond/creating a Birth Preference List.
- Includes workbook.
- Includes evidence based research and resources.
Pay by cash, check, Zelle- $200
Add on an in home 2 hours Comfort Measures Class for $150 cash- This is a hands on visit where we fine tune comfort measures that would work best for you specifically. I show your partner massage, counter pressure, labor wrap techniques and more. We do a mock labor at the end of the session. Must ad on with the purchase of Childbirth Preparation Class/Refresher/VBAC to get this pricing. Only offered in Portland OR/Vancouver WA and surrounding areas. Fill out form at the bottom of this webpage to set up your in home Comfort Measures class add on.
Comfort Measures Class (In Home Only)
What are the top topics covered?
- Physiology and anatomy of birth.
- Stages of Labor including all the phases and tips for each step of the way.
- How to tell when to go to the hospital and tips for checking in.
- Choices for when the water breaks.
- Comfort measures specific to you including- setting up the optimal birthing environment, positioning, breathing, focal points, massage, counter pressure, labor wrap, birth ball, TENs and more. Tips for your partner each step of the way.
- Tips for variations in labor- slow labor, posterior baby, etc.
- A mock labor practice session, to try out what you learned.
2 hours in home self study via prerecorded slideshows, 2 hours in home hands on instruction. Book your class by filling out the form at the bottom of this webpage.
Pay by cash, check or Zelle. $200
For in home classes I will travel throughout Portland OR/ Vancouver WA and surrounding areas. I am unable to offer private lessons in homes that use artificial air fresheners such as plug ins due to an allergy.
Baby Care Class
What are the top topics covered?
- Tips for the first two hours after birth: an important transitional time.
- Common hospital procedures/ medications/ tests and interventions for baby.
- How baby and you bond. How attachment affects later development.
- Newborn behaviors and appearances- after birth, birth marks, the first month, and when to call the pediatrician.
- Early child development and brain development facts.
- Newborn sensory skills- vision, hearing, taste, smell, and touch.
- Newborn reflexes and infant states of awareness and what they communicate to you.
- Sleep- where, when, how long, how to get them to sleep, safety and SIDs.
- Umbilical cord care. Circumcision information.
- What does jaundice mean in a baby, how can I tell if they have it, and what to do about it.
- Normal diaper appearance, how many diapers, and things to look out for.
- Baby carriers- benefits, safety and the most popular safe brands.
- Bathing baby- soaps, lotions, equipment/supplies.
- Diapering baby- diapering options, wipe options, how to diaper baby, great tips, diaper rash prevention and healing.
- Dressing baby- clothes tips, getting baby dressed and laundering tips.
- Holding positions and passing safety.
- Crying- common reasons for crying, techniques for reducing crying, and coping tips.
2.5 hours online class. 30 minute Zoom session to answer questions. $45 via check or Zelle.
Add on a 3 hour in home session the first or second week home with baby. I can teach you bathing, diapering, dressing, swaddling, baby wearing, holding and passing, bottle feeding, breastfeeding, burping, basic car seat safety, helping baby sleep better, and room set up. Pay by cash, check, Zelle $200 Fill out form at the bottom of this webpage to set up your in home session. In home session available in Vancouver, WA/ Portland, OR and surrounding areas.
I am unable to offer private lessons in homes that use artificial air fresheners such as plug ins due to an allergy.
What are the topics covered?
- Hunger cues.
- Different techniques for burping a baby.
- Breastfeeding- Preparation, breast anatomy, milk production, milk composition, supply, risks of formula feeding, recommendations by the AAP, tips for a good start at the hospital and at home, positioning, latching, how to tell if baby is getting enough, common breastfeeding issues- prevention and possible solutions, breastfeeding aids, donated milk, how your partner can help and resources for all of the above.
- Pumping- Different types of pumps and which situations they may be needed. Tips for successful pumping. Returning back to work/ pumping at work.
- Milk storage and reheating.
- Alternative feeding methods besides bottles.
- Bottle feeding– types of bottles, cleaning, sterilizing, introducing a bottle, positioning and paced bottle feeding.
- Infant Formula supplementation.
- Baby food basics– When to introduce baby food, what foods to introduce first, how to prepare baby food, different styles of introducing baby food and how to track for allergies.
2 hours online class. 30 minute Zoom session to answer questions. Pay by check or Zelle- $45
Add on a 3 hour in home session the first to second week home with baby. I can teach you bathing, diapering, dressing, swaddling, baby wearing, holding and passing, bottle feeding, breastfeeding, burping, basic car seat safety, helping baby sleep better, and room set up. Check/Cash $200 Fill out form at the bottom of this webpage to set up your Zoom call. Service area Portland OR/Vancouver WA and surrounding areas. I am unable to offer private lessons in homes that use artificial air fresheners such as plug ins due to an allergy.
Consulting/ One Hour Zoom Call
Consulting/ One hour Zoom call can cover any topics related to pregnancy, birthing, postpartum recovery, and baby care.
Pay by cash, check, Zelle $65 an hour.
Let’s schedule a private class or consulting!
Please fill out the contact form below.
I will get back to you in 48 hours or less. If you do not hear from me in 48 hours it likely means your email was never received, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org letting me know.